College Fair, Lyle Style!
- When: Wednesday, December 7, 2016, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: Lyle Community Schools Library, 625 Keasey Ave, Lyle, WA 98635
- Cost: Free
- Age limit: All ages
- Categories: Education
Representatives from at least 11 colleges and technical schools are scheduled to participate in Lyle Community Schools’ College Fair. Organizers are encouraging parents and guardians to attend with their students to explore post-secondary education opportunities and scholarships.
The fair is open to Lyle, Klickitat and Wishram schools’ students and it isn’t limited to current high school students. This is, organizers say, a college fair “Lyle Style.”
“Anyone in the community who’s considering continuing their formal education should come talk with the representatives at the college fair,” Katy Collins, Lyle Schools Middle School Support Specialist, emphasized. Information about online college courses, many of them free, will be provided.
Participants will develop a greater understanding of how financial assistance is determined. Staff will be available to help fill out the FAFSA, the federal financial assistance tool most colleges now require. Parents or guardians are encouraged to bring key information needed to complete the FAFSA, primarily their social security number and their most recent federal income tax return or W-2 forms.
The college fair, part of a larger college awareness-building week at the school, will be held in the library. Light snacks will be provided. Colleges and other post-secondary institutions represented include:
- Washington State University- Pullman
- Evergreen State College
- Perry Technical Institute
- Northwest College of Art and Design
- Yakama Nation Higher Education Program
- Heritage University
- Columbia Gorge Community College
- Northwest Culinary Institute
- Mt Hood Community College
- Eastern Oregon University
- Eastern Washington University
- The Oregon National Guard