As of Friday, December 28, 2012
ALMA CENTER, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin couple says fire clucks, not fire trucks, helped them escape a blaze at their home.
Alma Center Fire Chief Jeff Gaede says the couple’s pet chicken woke them at about 6:15 a.m. Thursday. He says the smoke alarms didn’t go off when the fire started in the attic of their attached garage. He says the chicken and a cat also escaped, but another cat died.
Neighbor Brad Krueger told WEAU-TV that he raised the chicken on his farm until dogs chased it away. The couple then started caring for it.
Gaede says he’s heard of dogs and cats alerting people to fires but he was amazed to hear about the chicken.