0

‘I’m safe,’ says The Dalles runner Erin Ford

Erin Ford of The Dalles had already passed the finish line of the Boston Marathon, collected her belongings and headed to the underground train station when dual bomb blasts the afternoon of April 15 killed three people and wounded more than 140.

“I was underground in the train station, working on making my way back to the hotel where I was staying,” Ford reported via email Wednesday morning, April 17. “I was about ready to board an already crowded train when we were evacuated. We didn’t hear the blasts underground and initially just thought that particular station was closing. We were told to go to another station.”

Back on the surface, Ford heard bits and pieces of the story, but didn’t comprehend its seriousness.

“Where I was, just a few blocks away from the chaotic finish line area, was a much different scene than what family and friends were seeing on the news.”

Ford sat in a park for a while, then started making her way back to the hotel — “a long walk on any other day that would be fine, but not a walk one wants to make after running a marathon!”

Eventually, she made her way back to meet with her mother and sister, who had come to cheer her marathon effort.

Law enforcement agencies are asking the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help solve the twin bombings.

“Someone knows who did this,” said Richard DesLauriers, FBI agent in charge in Boston, said at a news conference Tuesday. “Importantly, the person who did this is someone’s friend, neighbor, co-worker or relative.”

The Associated Press also contributed to this story.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment