As of Thursday, December 5, 2013
Extremely cold weather with temperatures in the single digits is predicted for this weekend and The Dalles public works reminds residents to protect water lines to avoid property damage and the inconvenience of frozen pipes:
• Drain or blow out all irrigation systems.
• Remove hoses from outside faucets and protect faucets.
• Insulate or install heat tape on water pipes exposed to the cold.
• Check heat tapes to be sure they are working.
• Make sure foundation vents are closed and plugged.
Public works has insulated water meters with either thermal blanket or wood chips. If your insulating material has been removed, meter blankets are available for all City of The Dalles water customers at no cost. Stop by the public works office at 1215 W. First St. between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. to pick one up.
Care should be taken not to damage the wire connected to the meter box lid as the lid is removed.
Customers are asked to notify public works at 296-5401, ext. 2001, of any meter box lid damage or to ask questions.