News and information from our partners

Students eat de-icer pellets

FOREST GROVE (AP) — A school district official in Forest Grove, Ore., says nearly a dozen first- and second-grade students ate de-icer pellets off the ground during a lunch-time recess. Five complained of stomach aches but all are expected to be OK.

The Oregonian reports ( ) that emergency crews were called to Joseph Gale Elementary School on Wednesday to check out the 11 children.

Forest Grove Fire & Rescue spokesman Matt Johnston says no children were taken to a hospital. He says some ate only a couple of the small blue-tinted pellets and some ate as many as 10.

Johnston says the pellets around the school are non-toxic, sodium-based and resemble the candy Pop Rocks.

Forest Grove School District spokeswoman Connie Potter said parents were notified.

Potter says the principal has previously talked to students about putting things in their mouths. And the spokeswoman adds, “I’m sure she’ll be having that talk again soon.”

Forest Grove is west of Portland.

Information from: The Oregonian,


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from The Chronicle and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)