News and information from our partners

Fire hits Maupin Lodge, destroys roof

The River Run Lodge bed and breakfast in Maupin caught fire Sunday evening, and the lone occupant at the time got out safely, according to police logs.

The fire was reported Sunday at 7:23 p.m. as “flames showing.” Building owner Mike Foreacker said it started at a pellet stove and mostly burned in the attic of the five-unit building.

The only person present was Foreaker’s daughter, who was in Room 6 watching TV when firefighters started banging on doors and let her know there was a fire.

No other people were present and guests were allowed to remove their belongings. Foreaker said there were two registered guests and five family members staying at the bed and breakfast at the time.

He hopes to have repairs done to the roof in time to be open by spring. The entire roof is destroyed and at the very least all the trusses on the main portion of the building will have to be replaced, he said.

The roof collapsed in on one room, and water damage from fire hoses also occurred, Foreaker said.

He was at his home in Maupin when he heard the siren go off three times. He learned it was his bed and breakfast when a friend came by and told him.

He’s lived in Maupin since 1995 and bought the bed and breakfast in 2007.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from The Chronicle and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)