Letter to the Editor: A right to choose

— Human rights

To the editor:

One of God’s most important gifts is choice. God’s choice is to not force us to do anything.

I’m Irish and my parents were married on St. Patrick’s Day, so if I choose to celebrate this year with a big party, no one should care. It’s my God-ordained choice. I go to the bakery and ask about getting the cake, but the baker says “I don’t believe in St. Patrick so I choose to deny your request.”

We both have made choices according to our belief system. My choice, then, is to move forward with my plans another way.

Neither of us should choose to call in the militia to force our choice on the other.

It can’t work to have free choice on only one side. The baker’s human rights are as important as mine.

Zoa Ropp

The Dalles

Comments

ec 1 year, 8 months ago

it is against the law for a business to refuse service based on discrimination. and if you are referring to the baker in portland, the woman he refused service to was a repeat customer. guess her money was good enough the first time around.

butterflycrying 1 year, 8 months ago

EC is exactly right, when it comes to how you act outside of the professional world you have a choice, but the minute you open a business you have to abide by different laws.

waverider 1 year, 7 months ago

ec, butterflycrying. I would strongly suggest that you go to the library and check out a 3rd grade level biology book and bone-up on the laws of nature. You might also research the law more closely where it says that a business owner has the legal right to refuse service to anyone he/she chooses to.

ec 1 year, 7 months ago

i am not sure why you think i need to go check out a biology book. as the mother of a gay child, i probably know more than you probably ever will.

butterflycrying 1 year, 7 months ago

I am sorry, but the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination “full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the grounds of race, color, religion or national origin.”

Since Businesses are considered places of public accommodation, meaning they seek the patronage of the public as a part of their business they are not authorized to discriminate.

The "Right to Refuse Service" is not a catch all to violate any of the acts or laws set forth by the state or country.

waverider 1 year, 7 months ago

Ok, where in the Civil Rights Act of 1964 does it mention any or all forms of sexual perversion? Be specific.

As a liberal, this maybe news to you, but private businesses are just that, not government property. You damn right they have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose to with the exception of race or religion.

butterflycrying 1 year, 7 months ago

Wave, I am referring directly to the Opinion Piece about St. Patrick's Day.