As of Sunday, July 28, 2013
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, Spain (AP) — Spain’s interior minister announced Saturday that the driver whose speeding train crashed, killing 78 people, is now being held on suspicion of negligent homicide.
Minister of Interior Jorge Fernandez Diaz announced the step against Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, who previously had been detained on suspicion of recklessness following Wednesday’s crash in Santiago de Compostela.
“There is rational evidence to lead us to think that the driver could have eventual responsibility,” the minister told reporters at the city’s police station. Fernandez Diaz also said Garzon, 52, has been discharged from the hospital, taken to the police station and would appear before a judge by Sunday evening. Garzon has the right to keep silent, “although he may change his mind on that,” the minister said. Blame has increasingly fallen on the driver, with the country’s railway agency saying it was his responsibility to brake before going into the high-risk curve where the train tumbled off the rails and smashed into a wall.