As of Tuesday, June 4, 2013
The Dalles The Dalles public works will be flushing fire hydrants over the next few weeks, starting from the top of the system and working down.
Fire hydrants are flushed to:
• clean out deposits, sediments and rust from our distribution pipelines;
• help minimize water quality problems;
• test fire protection water pressures;
• exercise hydrant valves; and
• identify hydrants needing repair or replacement.
Motorists and pedestrians should avoid driving or walking through the water coming directly from a hydrant while it is being flushed. If unable to avoid the area, proceed with caution.
Occasionally hydrant flushing causes some water discoloration or cloudy appearance within the water system. If this condition occurs, public works recommends letting the water run for several minutes until clear. If the water does not clear, contact public works at 541-296-5401, Extension 2001.