The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began the winter recreational vessel lock schedule for its Columbia River dams Sept. 16.
Recreational vessels may lock through on request during daylight hours only. The winter lock schedule will continue through May 14, 2014, at the following Portland District locks:
- Bonneville Lock and Dam at Columbia River Mile 145 The Dalles Lock and Dam at Columbia River Mile 191
- John Day Lock and Dam at Columbia River Mile 216.
- Commercial vessels continue to have lockage precedence over recreational vessels.
For information on safe lockage practices, please read “How to lock through.”
Vessel owner and operators requesting lockage should contact the lock operator on duty using Marine Channel 14 or the following commercial telephone numbers:
- Bonneville Lock and Dam chief operator on duty, 541-374-8323
- The Dalles Lock and Dam chief operator on duty, 541-298-4007
- John Day Lock and Dam chief operator on duty, 541-298-9712
For additional information on recreational vessel schedules or copies of the Safe Lockage Procedures, please visit the web site at: http://1.usa.gov/1gxZwGI or contact Bill Nielsen at (503) 808-4332.