The Wasco County Sheriff’s office will be conducting extra saturation patrols for Super Bowl weekend, Feb. 1 and Feb. 2.
According to 2011 Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) statistics for Oregon, 97 drunk-driving fatalities represented 29 percent of all total traffic deaths in this state.
This is a 39 percent increase from 2010. Additionally, the taxpayer subsidy of drunk driving fatalities was $533 million (www.madd.org/drunk-driving/state-stats/Oregon.html).
The specific focus of extra county patrols is to identify and intercept DUII crimes, as well as other traffic safety issues on Wasco County streets and roadways. The intent of the extra patrols is to ensure that all citizens and visitors in Wasco County will be able to enjoy a safe and peaceful Super Bowl weekend.
Here are a few tips for a safe Super Bowl weekend:
• Don’t drink and drive. Remember” Buzzed driving is drunk driving.”
• Never use illegal drugs.
• Volunteer to be a designated driver.
• If you know someone who has been drinking and insists on driving, take their keys.
• Use public transportation or a taxi to get home.
• Always use your seatbelt.
• Avoid travel after midnight, especially weekends and holidays.
• Report all drunk drivers by calling 911.