As of Saturday, May 17, 2014
EUGENE (AP) — A Lane County jury has agreed that a Eugene man who’s twice been convicted of killings should be executed. The jury reached its decision Thursday in the case of 58-year-old David Ray Taylor, convicted last week in the 2012 killing of Celestino Gutierrez.
Prosecutors said Gutierrez was killed so that his car could be used as a getaway vehicle in a bank robbery a few hours later. Taylor previously served 27 years for the killing of a young Eugene woman in 1977. He was released in 2004.
Prosecutors said the killing of Gutierrez was done at Taylor’s home, and he planned it along with younger associates, one of whom posed as a stranded woman in a bar parking lot and asked Gutierrez for a ride.
After Gutierrez was killed, his body was dismembered and buried in a forest southwest of Eugene, the Register-Guard (http://bit.ly/1lHZxNw) reported.
“This is a rare, extreme case, and exactly what the death penalty was intended for,” Lane County Deputy District Attorney David Schwartz told the jury.