The Dalles is commemorating Veterans Day in style this year with a multitude of local events leading up to Nov. 11 and on that day.
On the schedule this week:
• On Tuesday, Nov. 10, The Dalles Middle School, 1100 E. 12th St., invites the community to the 10 a.m. assembly to pay tribute to local veterans, who will also be treated to lunch.
• On Veterans Day, Wednesday, Nov. 11, a Community Veterans Thank-You breakfast is slated from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. at the Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth St., Veterans and active military eat free (military ID preferred though not required) and the cost is $5 for civilians and $3 for 12 and under. A banner will be located in the lobby and citizens are invited to sign the banner thanking the men and women who have served.
• The annual Veterans Day Parade organized by the Mid-Columbia Veterans Memorial Committee starts 11 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 11 at the intersection of Sixth and Webber streets. The parade travels down Sixth and onto Third in downtown The Dalles before turning onto Second at the East end of town and returning to Webber.
• Following the Nov. 11 parade will be a community potluck hosted by VFW Post 2471 and Auxiliary at the Oregon Veterans Home, 700 Veterans Drive. Utensils and drinks will be provided. People are asked to bring a hot dish, large salad or dessert to share.
• Western Display Fireworks, Bernert Barge Lines and The Dalles Concrete have donated a 10-minute fireworks display to honor veterans. The show starts at 6 p.m. and coordinated music will be broadcast via Y102. Prior to the show, one-off “salutes” of large fireworks will be set off at 5 p.m., 5:15 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.