‘Step It Up’ successful
To the editor:
This past October 5th was the first Step It Up! Students Walk to School Day and it was a big success! We had 116 elementary students and 33 parents, teachers and Medical Reserve Corps volunteers all walking to the schools.
This has been a great way for the elementary students of The Dalles to learn about healthy lifestyles while enjoying a nice walk with their friends.
I know that at Chenowith where I was chaperoning, the smiles of the students spread to the adults, helping everyone to talk, laugh and enjoy the walk.
We at the North Central Public Health District would like to thank everyone involved in making monthly Step It Up! Students Walk to School Days a possibility. The principals of each school (Sharon Bonderud, Kimberly Koch, Theresa Peters, and Anne Shull) deserve a big thank you for all of their enthusiasm and support for the program.
We would also like to thank the MRC volunteers that made it possible to get all of the students to school safely and on time. Of course, we would like to show our sincere gratitude for all of the students, parents and teachers that came out to walk with us! We can’t wait to walk again next month!
• The next Walk to School Day will be on Wednesday, Nov. 2. The walking groups will meet at their individual starting points at 7:15 a.m. and the walking begins at 7:25.
• Chenowith: Juanita’s Market on 2865 West 7th St
• Colonel Wright: Parking lot on the corner of West 10th St and Trevitt St or corner of West 14th and Lincoln St (gravel road)
• Dry Hollow: Parking lot of Gateway Presbyterian Church on 1111 Dry Hollow Rd
• St. Mary’s Academy: Parking lot on the corner of West 10th St and Trevitt St.
North Central Public Health District