Today is Sunday, July 13, the 194th day of 2014. There are 171 days left in the year. Today’s Highlight in History: On July 13, 1939, Frank Sinatra made his first commercial recording, “From the Bottom of My Heart” and “Melancholy Mood,” with Harry James and his Orchestra for the Brunswick label.
Looking back on July 13, in the archives of The Dalles Chronicle.
Ancient Cataclysmic Floods were the Ice Age Floods that preceded the Missoula Floods in the Pacific Northwest. Ancient Cataclysmic flooding initiated in the Early Pleistocene. Erika Medley and Scott Burns (Department of Geology, Portland State University) studied a total of 29 ancient cataclysmic flood sites, visiting all 14 previously studied ancient sites and four Missoula Flood quarries. They also found 11 new sites.
MORO — Sherman County Historical Museum’s team has works from the archive collection to be displayed for July’s Sherman County Artist Series.
The Oregon Digital Newspaper Program Archives at the University of Oregon features digital scans of newspapers from The Dalles.
Today is Sunday, July 6, the 187th day of 2014. There are 178 days left in the year. Today’s Highlight in History: On July 6, 1944, an estimated 168 people died in a fire that broke out during a performance in the main tent of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus in Hartford, Connecticut. (Among the survivors was future actor Charles Nelson Reilly, then age 13.) On this date:
Looking back at July 6, from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle.
Enjoy Family Fun Day at Fort Dalles Museum, Saturday, July 19, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free all day.
Looking back on June 29, from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle.
Sunday, June 22, in history
Looking back, June 22, from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle.
Shaniko, once the largest inland world shipping center in the world, invites members of the public to make their own history June 21 and 22, at Shaniko’s Pioneer Days. Join in the celebration of pioneering and pioneers of the famous wool center and one of Oregon’s most active ghost towns.
Looking back on June 15, from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle.
Looking back on June 8, in the archives of The Dalles Chronicle.
The Wasco County Historical Society announces the opening of the Rorick House for the summer season. The House will be open on Saturdays and Sundays in June, July and August, beginning June 7.