Looking back on March 1, from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle, and History Mystery results.
St. Paul’s Chapel is the topic for the last of this year’s Regional History Forum programs at the Original Wasco County Courthouse. Rodger Nichols will present photos and stories that he and Julie Reynolds have prepared about the historic church. The program begins at 1:30 p.m. at the 1859 Original Courthouse, 410 W. 2nd Place, The Dalles.
Mystery gadget The search for a photo to match the “Mystery Gadget” found in an old junk pile by Raleigh Dillon-Underhill of Dufur and published in the Chronicle on Feb. 11 remains elusive. The explanation that seems to best fit the circular metal band, with several arrow-shaped points of different sizes pointing in one direction, was offered by Russ Wilcox of The Dalles. He said the device was likely part of a tool to make wagon wheel hubs around the turn of the century. We have been unable to find a picture that would confirm that assessment. Glen Davidson of The Dalles guessed that the metal ring was attached to a wooden handle and used as a hand-operated drill. We have attempted to verify that use of the ring without success. Other residents suggested the metal piece was part of a Christmas tree stand and a whale harpoon. Anyone with information about this mystery is asked to call RaeLynn Ricarte at 541-506-4604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Time and Change on Mount Adams” is the title of the Regional History Forum presentation Saturday, Feb. 21, at the Original Wasco County Courthouse. The program begins at 1:30 p.m. in the historic courthouse, 410 W. 2nd Place, The Dalles.
Looking back on Feb. 15, from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle.
Looking back, History Mystery, Feb. 8, 2015
ASTORIA (AP) — The old White Star Cannery boiler, a stark and solitary reminder of Astoria’s past, may get historic designation. The city’s Historic Landmarks Commission has filed an application to designate the property with the old boiler, a pile field and ballast rocks in the Columbia River west of Second Street as historic.
Saturday’s Original Courthouse Regional History Forum presentation has been changed. Dave Wilson, who was scheduled to present a program about the Japanese community at the Mayerdale Estate, has cancelled and his presentation has not yet been rescheduled.
Looking back on Feb. 1.
Looking back on Jan. 25, from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle. History Mystery is a regular feature of The Dalles Chronicle Sunday print edition.
Join Mosier residents on Feb. 4 as they recall significant tales and events from Mosier’s past. Mosier is an entrepreneurial, welcoming town with a vast history unknown to many Gorge residents. Gorge Owned (GO!) invites you to learn about some of the dynamic people and stories that have helped shape the character and economy of this town, which today has a population of 430. Residents will use photos, videos and oral histories to explore Mosier’s most interesting tales from the past 100 years.
The White Salmon Community Library invites participation in the Koobdooga program (A good book spelled backwards), by reading “Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher” by Timothy Egan, which looks at the life and photographs of Edward Curtis.
The original Wasco county courthouse history regional forum has a full slate of programs scheduled for February. Programs begin at 1:30 p.m. in the upstairs courtroom, of the 1859 courthouse, 410 West 2nd Place behind the The Dalles Area Chamber of Commerce visitor’s center.
Culture a la Carte, a free evening presentation on the topic of Braceros of the Pacific Northwest, is scheduled Saturday, Jan. 31, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center, 5000 Discovery Drive.
PLOEGSTEERT, Belgium — With British and German forces separated only by a no-man's land littered with fallen comrades, sounds of a German Christmas carol suddenly drifted across the frigid air: “Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht” (“Silent Night, Holy Night”).