Photo detail

Gary Conley, Karl Vercouteran, Terray Harmon, Lucile Stephens and Kevin Lohse all contributed to this report. Last week’s History Mystery, above, was scanned from a 4- by 5-inch negative from the archives of The Dalles Chronicle. Information on the envelope reads, “Urness Motors, Feb. 9, 1951.”It was taken for The Dalles Optimist. The photograph was taken looking northwest from the corner of Third and Federal streets. The C.H. Urness Motors building is located where The Dalles Chronicle currently has its office, 315 Federal Street. On enlargement, the small building just to the right of the “new cars and trucks” sign is “Harry’s Radio Service.” The gas station on the right is a “Phillips 66” station. The truck parked at the gas station sports several messages, including “Jack Garrett, The Music Box, Phone 2091.” There are also words on the hood, of which “Records” is the only one legible. The crate in the back of the truck is labeled “Wurlitzer Pianos.” Gary Conley noted that in the building across the alley, in the hall upstairs, was the Arcadia Dance Hall.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

Looking Back on March 12, 2017

From the archives of The Dalles Chronicle

Tease photo

Looking Back on March 5, 2017

From the archives of The Dalles Chronicle

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

CLOSE X

Information from the Chronicle and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)